Carey Green is an everyday guy who’s made an unusual transition – from a Pastor of 20 years to business builder, Christian life & business coach, and soon-to-be real estate investor. He believes that the changes in technology that have occurred over the past 10 to 20 years have made it possible for anyone with drive and a desire to learn to establish multiple streams of income that enable them to live a life bigger than themselves – by funding causes that change the world through their business profits.
Among his accomplishments since retiring from Pastoral ministry are the establishment of a multiple 6-figure podcast production and show notes business, building successful online courses, and a new movement to empower and equip Christian entrepreneurs – www.LiveBuildChange.com.
Time Stamped Show Notes
[4:32] After being a pastor for 20 years, 4 years ago Carey sensed the calling was fading, so he resigned with no idea of what he was going to do.
[7:51] Carey realized that a change was needed but he didn’t have many opportunities. With the help of his wife, Carey had to use his creativity to learn new ways to make an income.
[10:55] Looking at the opportunities before him, he saw none would meet his minimum monthly expenses, but believing there’s always a way he continued to look for new possibilities.
[13:56] In 2013, Carey looked at the opportunity to be a mortgage broker, while studying he took screenshots of his study methods to create an online course to pass that test.
[16:19] Monetizing that course made enough to support him for 3 years and helped him with his bills, even though he wasn’t making it big as a mortgage broker.
[18:24] When one student provided him with test material, he later reworded it and included that in the practice test in his course, thinking only how it would benefit his students. It did not seem like plagiarism at all.
[21:29] Another student gave him more material which Carey used exactly in his test until one person from the Government payed for his course, took evidence of it, and contacted Carey.
[23:17] Receiving that letter calling him out on copyright infringement, Carey first got angry and defensive. He then realized it was the US government and took down his course and remained calm.
[29:02] After that Carey had to regroup and start thinking how he would go from there.
[30:30] Carey collaborated with the people from the legal counsel and expressed his real intentions with his course.
[33:33] Failing Forward Segment
- What is the bottom line reason of this failure? – “I did not properly vet my sources, I didn’t think through the issue of being accountable for the information I was providing.”
- What is the single most important lesson you learned from this? – “That I have to take the issue of my integrity and what I’m placing into the public as a resource very seriously myself.”
- How do you protect yourself from failing in this way again? – “I have to be very aware of my own motives.”
- Who do you turn to when you need help? – “My faith in God, I read the scriptures daily. My wife is hands down the wisest person I’ve ever met, she understands the human heart.”
- What advice would you give to someone in a similar position? – “Step back from the problem and let your emotions simmer down.”
[41:27] To find out about Carey’s coaching program, go to his website www.careygreen.com. There, you can contact him for free and get his books.
[46:58] Carey’s final thought: “From the scriptures: A gentle answer turns away wrath.”